Business Continuity Review
Duration: 2.5 days (Two full days of instruction 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. followed by one half-day Qualifying Examination 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
16 Continuing Education Activity Points (CEAPs) may be awarded toward recertification.
The cost of this course includes both the course and the exam.
1. Review The Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management body of knowledge designed to assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of business continuity programs.
2. Highlight the terms and methodologies presented in The International Glossary for Resiliency and the Professional Practices.
3. Prepare you for the Qualifying Examination
Lesson 1: Program Initiation and Management
- Establish the need for a business continuity program.
- Obtain support and funding for the business continuity program.
- Build the organizational framework to support the business continuity program.
- Introduce key concepts, such as program management, risk awareness, identification of critical functions/processes, recovery strategies, training and awareness, and exercising/testing.
Lesson 2: Risk Assessment
- Identify risks that can adversely affect an entity’s resources or image.
- Assess risks to determine the potential impacts to the entity, enabling the entity to determine the most effective use of resources to reduce these potential impacts.
Lesson 3: Business Impact Analysis
- Identify and prioritize the entity’s functions and processes in order to ascertain which ones will have the greatest impact should they not be available.
- Assess the resources required to support the business impact analysis process.
- Analyze the findings to ascertain any gaps between the entity’s requirements and its ability to deliver those requirements.
Lesson 4: Business Continuity Strategies
- Select cost-effective strategies to reduce deficiencies as identified during the risk assessment and business impact analysis processes.
Lesson 5: Incident Response
- Develop and assist with the implementation of an incident management system that defines organizational roles, lines of authority and succession of authority.
- Define requirements to develop and implement the entity’s incident response plan.
- Ensure that incident response is coordinated with outside organizations in a timely and effective manner when appropriate.
Lesson 6: Plan Development and Implementation
- Document plans to be used during an incident that will enable the entity to continue to function.
Lesson 7: Awareness and Training Programs
- Establish and maintain training and awareness programs that result in personnel being able to respond to incidents in a calm and efficient manner.
Lesson 8: Business Continuity Plan Exercise, Assessment and Maintenance
- Establish an exercise, assessment and maintenance program to maintain a state of readiness.
Lesson 9: Crisis Communications
- Provide a framework for developing a crisis communications plan.
- Ensure that the crisis communications plan will provide for timely, effective communication with internal and external parties.
Lesson 10: Coordination with External Agencies
- Establish policies and procedures to coordinate incident response activities with public entities.