Master Business Continuity Professional (MBCP)
The Master Business Continuity Professional distinguishes those with superior knowledge and significant experience in our profession. While they are required to have broad business continuity experience, in most cases these professionals possess much more than the requisite knowledge. These professionals hold a vast scope of comprehension and guide their practices, departments or company with a high level of skill and expertise. Earning an MBCP also earns you a coveted distinction membership in the Order of the Sword and Shield National Honor Society, the only academic and professional honor society dedicated solely to the security learning community.
The Certification Process
The MBCP is DRI International's highest level of certification and is reserved for individuals with significant demonstrated knowledge and skill in the business continuity/disaster recovery industry. The certification is tailored to individuals with at least five years of industry experience and demands a high level of industry commitment, as well as additional and continual enhancement of your knowledge and skill level.
MBCP Certification Details
To apply for MBCP certification, all applicants must:
- Possess at least five years of significant, practical experience in seven of the subject matter areas of the Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management.
- Pass the Qualifying Examination with a minimum score of 75%.
- Pass the Master's Case Study Examination. After successful completion and scoring of the Master's Case Study Examination, candidates may complete and submit an application for consideration to become a Master Business Continuity Professional.
- Complete the Online Application for Professional Certification by logging into your DRI account.
- Complete application essays focused on your business continuity / disaster recovery planning responsibilities and accomplishments by mapping your experience to the Professional Practices. At least four of the seven selected subject matter essays MUST draw from:
- Subject Area 3: Business Impact Analysis.
- Subject Area 4: Developing Business Continuity Strategies.
- Subject Area 6: Developing and Implementing Business Continuity Plans.
- Subject Area 8: Maintaining and Exercising Business Continuity Plans.
- Provide references to confirm your experience. Experience must have occurred within a ten-year period from your application date
Important Note: Inform your references about your application. Ask for their prompt assistance when DRI International requests validation of your experience and subject area pages. Incomplete applications cause delays in the process, and we may require additional steps and requests to you for additional information.
Once your references have documented your experience, the commissioners will review your application. This review may also prompt the commissioners to contact you for additional information.
Applicants must provide the names and contact information for at least two individuals who can document your experience in each subject area. The total number of references you provide can be as few as two (if both references can attest to all your required subject areas), or many more (if different references are provided for each of your required subject areas). Additional references may be provided to save processing time in case, if the first two references cannot provide verification from the first two.
List all the references you need to document your minimum two years of required experience. Some individuals will list several, while others may list only two. Just make sure that the references you select can verify a minimum of two (2) years of your business continuity experience. For additional detail on certification levels and recertification requirements, please follow the links provided, go to the FAQ section or contact the director of certification via email or by calling +1-866-542-3744.
Important Note: This entire process can take several weeks. DRI International contacts all applicants upon approval. Once approved, professional certification status and recertification period documents are provided. If you are not approved and wish to re-apply, contact the Customer Care Center for additional information on how to re-apply.
Recertification is required for all certifications levels. Regular recertification requires an ongoing commitment to continuing education and industry activities. There is a yearly maintenance fee for all certification levels. There are 80 CEAPs required for MBCP.