DRI can provide expert guidance, policy advice and training for government entities and organizations looking to partner with government agencies.
DRI is the oldest and largest institute for business continuity management and related fields, including the growing field of resilience. We are available to provide nonpartisan analysis, study, or research, relevant discussion of broad economic or social problems, and/or to respond to requests for technical advice related to business continuity, resilience and related fields. As the voice of the profession, DRI has an established track record of serving as an advisor to governments and international organizations through:
- Working with governments and the United Nations to advise on preparedness;
- Disseminating information on the importance of preparedness;
- Serving as an avenue for understanding private sector priorities and perspectives;
- Working in partnership with universities and foundations to expand the profession;
- Helping governments to synthesize global standards; and
- Providing training and accreditation for public sector professionals and their organizations.
DRI does not engage in lobbying activities nor does it contribute to political action committees (PACs).
Find out below how DRI helps the public sector achieve its continuity and resilience goals.
DRI frequently briefs U.S. policy makers and national organizations to provide information and advice around business continuity and disaster preparedness, and oftentimes acts as a liaison to facilitate public-private partnerships critical to an affected region’s economic viability.
- DRI has briefed the two most recent administrations on visits to the White House. In 2018, DRI Foundation President Al Berman and other members of the Caribbean Central American Action organization met with members of the Vice President’s office to discuss issues affecting policy for Caribbean/Central American countries. The discussions centered on how the region’s countries are vital to U.S. interests, in terms of maintaining economic partnerships that support democratic, stable, and prosperous relationships. In 2012, DRI briefed the Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Resilience Policy, who joined the DRI Future Vision Committee upon leaving the White House staff.
- DRI has participated in many Capitol Hill Congressional briefings. During the 2017 Safety Summit Congressional Briefing, DRI provided information on the evolving situation during the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season. DRI also attended the Safe America Briefing with presiding Congress members Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), Congressman Rob Andrews (D-NJ), Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) in 2012.
- Ready.gov lists the Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management as the only reference for business continuity under Standards and Practices on their Laws and Authorities page. The practices are also listed as the top strategy resource on the Ready.gov Business Continuity Plan page.
- Our certification programs are recognized by various government agencies including the U.S. Federal Government via the Montgomery GI Bill and the GSA Schedule (contract number GS-02F-0095X). We are a National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS) Training Provider.
- DRI chaired the Alfred P. Sloan Committee that drafted the Framework for Preparedness that has been the foundation for Title IX Implementation. DRI was proud to join the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation in the release of the “Framework for Voluntary Preparedness—Briefing Regarding Private Sector Approaches to Title IX of H.R. 1 and Public Law 110-53, Implementing 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act of 2007” and honored to be an instrumental part of the interdisciplinary team convened by the foundation to address the need for a well-informed and reasoned approach to the critical issues involving the creation of the “Voluntary Certification and Accreditation Program” set forth in Section 524 of this new legislation. Especially noteworthy was the historic collaboration of the American Society of Industrial Security (ASIS), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS), all of whom worked shoulder to shoulder with DRI International to generate this important work. The Sloan Report helped guide the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in implementing a positive and realistic program for a voluntary business preparedness certification. Then DRI International Executive Director Alan Berman served as co-chairman of the interdisciplinary team that drafted the report.
- DRI has been a member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Homeland Security Task Force, the Council of Experts for ANSI-ANAB, the FEMA National Advisory Council Private Sector Subcommittee, and other safety and security councils.
- In 2012, DRI partnered with the National Foundation for Women Legislators (NFWL), expanding the foundation’s disaster relief and preparedness efforts. Both organizations share the common goal of identifying and implementing effective solutions that will improve disaster preparedness and awareness across the nation.
- Each year, DRI contributes information about the profession of business continuity planning to the U.S. Department of Labor and the Bureau of Labor Statistics states that our CBCP designation may be required to secure a position as an emergency management director.
- The DRI Foundation Volunteer Day at DRI’s annual conference regularly receives a Mayoral Proclamation from the rotating host city in gratitude for its service to the local community.
DRI advises international organizations and various governments for the development of national BCM standards and initiatives in countries such as Canada, Mexico, the European Union, Malaysia, the Philippines, and the United Arab Emirates.
- DRI is an active member of the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction’s (UNISDR) Private Sector Working Group ARISE Initiative, as well as Vice Chair for ARISE-US. DRI also was on the business and industry delegation to the negotiations of The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and participated in numerous Global and Regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction, high-level meetings, side events to official proceedings, and zero draft consultations. View DRI’s profile and activities on UNISDR’s Prevention Web Portal.
- DRI participated in research through the OCHA-UNDP Connecting Business initiative (CBi), which is conducting research to understand the specific gender-related challenges in disaster management that private sector networks could address. Connecting Business initiative (CBi) is a multi-stakeholder initiative transforming the way business networks engage before, during and after natural hazards and manmade disasters to create more resilient communities and increase local capacity.You can find the final report here.
- DRI is a core group member of International Science Council Integrated Research on Disaster Risk program (IRDR) for the Global DRR Research Agenda 2020. You can find the final report here.
- DRI President Chloe Demrovsky is a member of The Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Resilient Cities Subject Matter Advisory Network, which offers pro bono advice to members 100RC Chief Resilience Officers.
- Caribbean: DRI is a member of Caribbean-Central American Action (CCAA) to support improved disaster management policies in the Caribbean region.
- Malaysia: As part of DRI Malaysia’s annual conference in 2016, DRI briefed the Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Seri Madius Tangau, his Cybersecurity Ministry, and the press.
- Japan: DRI was signatory to the Japanese Joint Declaration on overcoming future crises with the municipal governments of Tokyo and Niigata. The declaration was made in the aftermath of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami.
- Singapore: DRI Singapore is the official BCM education partner for the government-sponsored Singapore Business Federation. The program was funded by a $30 million government grant for private-sector preparedness.
- Philippines: DRI briefed Congressman Joey Salceda on the value of private sector partnerships for emergency response when he spoke at our Collegiate Conference hosted by De La Salle University.
- United Arab Emirates: DRI participated in the review of the national Business Continuity Management Standard and Guide (AE/HSC/NCEMA 7000) and created a custom training program for the inaugural emergency response standard for the Gulf region.
- Benin: DRI briefed the Permanent Representative of Benin to the United Nations at an official side event for the UN summit on Sustainable Development and Means of Implementation: How Data Matters.
Created and maintained by DRI, The Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management is a body of knowledge designed to assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of business continuity programs that is widely used in the United States and around the world. It also is intended to serve as a tool for conducting assessments of existing programs. The Professional Practices have served as the basis for numerous regulations and standards related to business continuity globally. See some examples of DRI’s work in this area.
- DRI is an International Organization Liaison to International Standards Organization (ISO) Technical Committee 292 for Security and Resilience.
- DRI is an ANSI-accredited Standards Development Organization and a CQI and IRCA Approved Training Partner.
- DRI’s Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management are a source document for NFPA 1600 and several of our Board members, including our chairman, are members of the NFPA 1600 Technical Committee.
- DRI’s Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management are a source document for the Canadian standard, CSA Z1600 for emergency and continuity management programs.
- DRI’s training program is recognized by the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC).
Case Studies and Thought Leadership
Through committees and other initiatives, DRI publishes research and insights about the profession, which can be accessed through its online library and other resources. Here are a few that address issues relevant to government and policymakers:
- Webinar: Real Recovery Lessons and a Partnership that Passed the Test: Ryan Miller, CBCP, CBCLA, Director of Emergency Management for Howard County, MD, and Larry Twele, CEO of Howard County Economic Development Authority.
- Webinar: Active Shooter and Mass Casualty Response - A Crisis Management Perspective.
- White Paper: Mapping The Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management from DRI International to The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction.
- White Paper: Public-Private Partnerships are essential to attaining the next level of resilience in Japan and the greater global community.
- Access DRI’s Library with your free DRI account to find presentations on various related topics from the Certified Professional community.
More details and the latest updates on DRI activities can be found under the Government Relations Category of the Drive blog.
Training and Certification
Public sector organizations may call it continuity, resilience, continuity of operations planning (COOP), some combination or variation of these, or even something else entirely, but what is essential is the focus on keeping these organization up and running through crisis. For decades, DRI International has been certifying professionals to do just that and has built group training programs for numerous government agencies, regulatory bodies, and international organizations. In fact, DRI proudly offers the Certified Public Sector Continuity Professional (CPSCP) designation designed to meet the specific and unique needs of professionals in federal, state, and local public sector organizations, agencies, and groups. The CPSCP certification will set apart qualified individuals by verifying the candidate’s knowledge of key concepts and practices in continuity and resilience and preparing them to protect mission essential functions. Learn more.
To qualify for this certification, DRI offers two course options. Public Sector Continuity (GCLE 2000) is carefully developed to meet the needs of the public sector. This 4.5-day course provides business continuity training that incorporates the terminology and regulations specific to public sector work. Public Sector Continuity Review (GCP 501) Is a 2.5-day accelerated version. For more information on registering for these or other training courses, call 866-542-3744.
Specialized Services for Working with Offices of Emergency Management
DRI offers a program through which Offices of Emergency Management can host one of our courses and have the opportunity to train key representatives of their communities in business continuity, risk management, and other resilience disciplines, and put everyone on the path to certification. DRI can work with your office to develop a training program that best fits your community’s needs. Training events are effective networking events, offering opportunities to:
- Help businesses in the region understand what to expect from their office, to incorporate those details into their plans.
- Network and build relationships with other industries in their community, such as local government, emergency services, healthcare, tourism, and more.
- Discuss real events and situations that have impacted their area and gain additional perspectives on effective response.
- Focus on both the business community’s short-term needs with their overall needs for the community’s recovery and integrate them into their long-term goals to improve the overall risk health of the community.
Support for Veterans
Business continuity management is an ideal career choice for veterans. Military knowledge and skills are directly transferable to the profession of business continuity planning, which is listed as Bright Outlook Profession by the U.S. Department of Labor. Find out more about the DRI Foundation’s Veterans Outreach Program here.
DRI is here to help
Just starting out at your organization with resilience or business continuity management? Need policy solutions? Can’t find what you are looking for? Contact us and we will help you find solutions that fit your needs.