Certified Business Continuity Professional (CBCP)Apply for Certification
The Certified Business Continuity Professional is our most widely recognized and held business continuity certification in the world. CBCPs are professionals that have demonstrated both knowledge and skill in the business continuity/disaster recovery industry. For the most part, these professionals have been working in the industry as leaders and are looking for the recognition that comes with certification.
The Certification Process
The CBCP level of certification is for individuals who have demonstrated knowledge and working experience in the business continuity/disaster recovery industry. The level requires more than two (2) years of experience. Applicants must be able to demonstrate specific and practical experience in five (5) of the subject matter areas of the Professional Practices. Regular recertification requires an ongoing commitment to continuing education and industry activities. If you have less than two years of industry experience, you should apply for the ABCP certification.
CBCP Certification Details
To apply for CBCP certification, all applicants must:
- Possess at least two years of significant, practical experience in five of the subject areas of the Professional Practices for Business Continuity Management.
- Pass the Qualifying Examination with a minimum score of 75%.
- After receiving notification of a passing score, complete the Online Application for Professional Certification by logging into your DRI account.
- Complete application essays focused on your business continuity/disaster recovery planning responsibilities and accomplishments by mapping your experience to the Professional Practices. At least two of the five selected subject matter essays MUST draw from:
- Subject Area 3: Business Impact Analysis
- Subject Area 4: Business Continuity Strategies
- Subject Area 6: Plan Development and Implementation
- Subject Area 8: Business Continuity Plan Exercise, Assessment, and Maintenance
- Provide references to confirm your experience. Experience must have occurred within a ten-year period from your application date.
Important Note: Inform your references about your application. Ask for their prompt assistance when DRI International requests validation of your experience and subject area pages. Incomplete applications cause delays in the process, and we may require additional steps and requests from you for additional information.
Once your references have validated your experience, the commissioners will review your application. This review may also prompt the commissioners to contact you for additional information.
Applicants must provide the names and contact information of at least two individuals who can document their experience in each subject area. The total number of references you provide can be as few as two (if both references can attest to all your required subject areas), or many more (if different references are provided for each of your required subject areas). Additional references may be provided to save processing time in case; if the first two references cannot provide verification from the first two.
List all the references you need to document your minimum two years of the required experience. Some individuals will list several, while others may list only two. Just make sure that the references you select can verify a minimum of two (2) years of your business continuity experience. For additional details regarding certification levels and recertification requirements, please go to the FAQ section, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1-866-542-3744.
Important Note: This entire process can take several weeks. DRI International contacts all applicants upon approval. Once approved, professional certification status and recertification period documents are provided. If you are not approved and wish to re-apply, contact the Customer Care Center (+1866-542-3744) for additional information on how to re-apply.
Applicants are reminded that all course, exam, and results materials are confidential and should not be shared online or with other certified professionals. Sharing exam materials may result in revocation of existing certification credentials and possible legal action. All Certified Professionals must comply with the DRI International Code of Ethics to remain in good standing.
Recertification is required for all certification levels. Regular recertification requires an ongoing commitment to continuing education and industry activities. There is a yearly maintenance fee for all certification levels. There are 80 CEAPs required for CBCP.