2 days of instruction (8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
Certificate of Completion provided
16 Continuing Education Activity Points (CEAPs) may be awarded towards recertification if applicable
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
1. Understand the importance of communicating quickly and effectively during an emergency
2. Know the top crisis communications tips and tools of the trade
3. Communicate more effectively, both internally and externally, during an emergency or crisis
4. Speak confidently to the media and public in various settings, including one-on-one interviews, media scrums, Zoom and other online interviews and press conferences
5. Pass the 20-question multiple choice exam
- Crisis communications principles, priorities, and fundamentals
- Communicating to and with the media
- The role of the media during a crisis
- Social media and emergency management
- The spokesperson’s role during a crisis
- Statements vs. news releases vs. press conferences
- Common mistakes when dealing with media
- Media “traps” and how to avoid them
- How to handle a live interview
- How to handle a Zoom or other online interview
- How to handle a press conference
- Mock press conference exercise (offered during classroom training, not online)
- Exam/knowledge check (20-25 multiple choice questions)
** The course also focuses on the new era of Emergency Management & Crisis Communications, including new and emerging cybersecurity, terrorism, civil unrest, health emergencies and other growing risks and associated crisis communications considerations.
A computer is required for this course. Your courseware will be available through your account profile 7 days prior to the course start date.
Please contact DRI at 1-866-542-3744 for all questions
Courses are scheduled subject to a minimum enrollment. If enrollment for a particular course does not meet the minimum, that class is cancelled or rescheduled. If DRI International must cancel a class for any reason, DRI's liability is limited to the paid registration fee. DRI makes every effort to notify registered participants as soon as possible if classes are cancelled.
Registration applies only to the individual named on the registration form. If you want to substitute another individual from the same company, you must contact the course registrar prior to the first day of the course. The cancellation fee is $150.00 U.S. currency however, there is no charge for moving to another course with a limit of three course transfers. See FAQ for additional details. Rescheduling must occur within twelve months of the originally scheduled course and no more than three course transfers are permitted. If you exceed the alotted twelve months for rescheduling or limit of three course transfers, no refunds will be made and your registration fee will be forfeited to DRI.